Where Your Wine Party Dollars Went
A LOOK BACK
History was made this past April at TUGG's 10th Annual Wine and Tequila Party: for the first time ever, thanks to all your votes we had a tie for first place in the new nonprofit category between First Teacher and WeThrive. Both nonprofits joined TUGG's portfolio, along with our third place winner, MassLEAP. Read on to see what they've been up to since April.
First Teacher is a community of parents and caregivers working together to prepare all our children for success in kindergarten and beyond. Like many start-ups, they spent their first three years anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months ahead of their funding, leading to many sleepless nights. First Teacher received $50,000 from TUGG on the first day of their fiscal year this summer, putting them 4 months ahead. Thanks to you and TUGG, since April First Teacher has:
- Served 55 families compared to 25 this time last year, doubling growth
- Expanded from one to three neighborhoods
- Nearly reached their goal of being one year ahead in their fundraising
We are so happy to see the positive impact the Wine Party had on First Teacher and excited to watch their continued progress. More about First Teacher.
MassLEAP is dedicated to building and supporting spaces for youth to experience the transformative power of their own voices in community with one another. They provide a platform for young people, artist-educators and organizers to foster positive youth development through spoken word poetry forums. Thanks to you and TUGG, since April MassLeap has:
- Launched the Youth Spoken Word Leaders Program, providing stipends to participate in the planning and development of ongoing open mic, workshop & youth poetry slam series
- Selected program participants and conduced orientation for the new members
- Launched the program's first project: a monthly open mic series called "The Thiiird Eye Mic Experience," named and planned by program members
We can't wait to see what the future holds for the progress of the MassLEAP and the Youth Spoken Word Leaders Program. More about MassLEAP.
WeThrive is an entrepreneurial mentoring program that pairs college students with middle school and high school students in low-income households. Youth participants create ventures of their own, earning real revenues but most importantly learning life skills and gaining a near-peer role model. Thanks to you and TUGG, since April WeThrive has accomplished the following:
- Grew from 3 to 20 programs in Boston, New York City, LA, and Oakland
- Partnered with Citizen Schools to expand through their network
- Developed and implemented new technology to supplement programs for quality assurance, metrics tracking and scale
Moving forward, WeThrive is working towards rounding out their core team, developing a V2 of their product, establishing a mentor pipeline for current and future programming, and exploring potential for corporate sponsorships and new partners. We're impressed with WeThrives progress and excited for what's to come. More about WeThrive.